Friday, July 29, 2011

Required Rest

There are so many places in scripture that tell us how important rest is:

(Mark 6:31)  Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

(Exodus 33:14) The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

(Matthew 11:28)  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." 

(Hebrews 4:9-10)  There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from His. 

(Psalm 23:2-3)  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul.

I love our vacations at Vero Beach.
We all truly rest.

The message is clear here.  Make time to rest.  So why don't I?  Sundays have become a regular work day around here.  And although scripture doesn't say you MUST rest on Sunday, I'm not taking any other day off either. 

I'm getting ready to go into a very busy time with work and not long after, we'll be starting school.  I am confident that without rest, I will not be able to function is a way that honors God, and is good to my family. 

If you have any suggestions on ways to rest, please let me know.  I'm one of those people who has a hard time shutting off my brain and just shutting down.  The alternative is running ragged, until I just break down.  I know that's not part of what God would have planned for me. 

Rest...it's not an option...it's required.

3 comments:

  1. I heard Anita Renfroe say that if God commanded the dirt to rest in Genesis, imagine how much more He wants us to rest. I've made Sunday mandatory rest day. No checking work email whatsoever. I even try to "rest" from Facebook/Twitter. I've had to force myself to disconnect. It was difficult at first, but now I count on doing it. I read a book, watch a movie, go for a walk, put on a facemask...resting has become a luxury :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those who runs herself until she breaks down too! I have gotten into the habit of taking a 10 minute break in the morning and afternoon...setting my oven timer and sitting down to read my email, check facebook, read a book...whatever. When the timer goes off, I get back up and head to the next thing. It helps me recharge a bit. I also try not to do more outside of the household routines on a Sunday...so much so that I'll cook dinner or have it ready in the slow cooker on Saturday night! Thanks for the reminder to rest... God has been telling me that a lot lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peruvian Beef - Titanium Price Per ounce
    Peruvian Beef. titanium armor The Peruvian Beef is a ridge titanium wallet fresh-fried beef made from titanium vs steel the freshest produce of the surrounding Peruvian nano titanium flat iron habaneros, titanium eyeglass frames plus the flavor of

    ReplyDelete