Thursday, August 23, 2012

Time for Fruit

This morning I woke up with a bad attitude.  There's just no other way to describe it.  Yesterday was a wearing day for me.  Even though I got a full night's sleep, I still work up restless in my spirit.  I knew then and there I needed a good dose of the Word.

Awhile ago I bought an ESV Bible.  Still, it sat in a box, shrink wrapped.  "Time to take that baby out for a spin," I thought.  Whenever I'm lamenting, I open to...Psalms.  (I know...you were thinking Lamentations.)  I began...in the beginning with Psalm 1.

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 
He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.  In all that he does, he prospers.
The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish."

I had to ask:  Am I the tree?  Or am I the chaff?  The tree is not planted in lush soil.  It is just near a stream.  It has access to what it needs.  And as a result, it is able to produce fruit at just the right time.
 
 
 
Woah, stop right there.  I am not planted in the best of situations always.  But I do have what I need nearby...always.  It's call God.  And even though I may draw from Him constantly, I may not see results constantly.  Those will only come in His time...in season. 
 
Friends, do not be tempted sit, like the chaff.  The chaff is near the fruit of the wheat.  But it serves no use after harvest.  Are you not seeing fruit?  Being a dormant tree is not fun.  I know!  But if you are drawing from the living water of our Lord, the harvest will come.  Wait on Him.  And in the meantime, read your Bible.  Pray.  Look for ways to serve others.  And rest, knowing He is the great harvester.

No comments:

Post a Comment