Fortunately, I’m blessed to be part of helping decide what
will happen. I’ve always been pretty open
to the results of change. I love going to
new places, trying new things and finding new adventures. But those are all thing of our choosing. When something is a little more out of my
control, I become less embracing, and more skeptical of what the future
holds. Granted, I’m not fearful. Just uncertain. And uncertainty can leave you with that sleepless,
questioning, pit-in-the-stomach feeling that I’m not sure anyone can embrace, no
matter how deep their faith. Maybe there
is a wee bit o’ fear in there?
As I have taken my concerns to the Lord, He is constant in
telling me one thing, “Trust in Me.” Now, I
have asked for a variety of interpretations, a rephrasing if you will. A different answer that may suit my fancy a
bit better, but the message has been the only constant in this process. If I’m going to survived, no thrive, with any
sort of change in my life, a deep and reckless trusting in His plan is going to
have to reign in me.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your
own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and He shall direct your path.”
Proverbs 3:5 & 6
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and He shall direct your path.”
Proverbs 3:5 & 6
Ah, yes, good ol’ Proverbs.
Nothing allows you a sigh of relief like a familiar Old Testament verse. I know this one. I believe this one. I live this one. Or do I?
Trust in the Lord. Seems simple
enough. The root of the Hebrew word used
in this passage addresses a sense of refuge.
That God is a place where we trust.
A protective space, if you will. Ah. Can you feel it? Yes, I am sweetly guarded by the One who
created me. And because of that
protection, this word also brings a connotation of boldness. Now wait one minute. I wasn’t looking to be bold. I was just getting all comfy snuggly in God’s
refuge. Maybe trust isn’t so strong in
me. Let’s not even get into this “all
your heart” business, because I don’t know if I can wrap my mind around this
right now.
I shared some of my uncertainty with my boss. I don’t question the changes that are
coming. They are good. They will help the ministry. And they very well may help me be able to do
my job with a sense of refreshment that comes from not feeling like you’re
coming up short all the time. Towards
the end of our talk, he said, “Terese, I want you to focus on one word
here. ‘TRUST.’” My initial thought was “Have you been talking
with God?” But I was pretty sure he
spoke with God often, so I left it alone.
![]() |
| "Trust in Me." Kaa has Mowgli right where he wants him. I'm glad God never has to trick me to get me in His will. |
In 2 Corinthians 1:9, the word “trust” rears its bold head
once again. “Yes, we had the sentence of
death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises
the dead.” Here a spirit of confidence
comes across though the Greek translation used. It’s an authority from God, that the gift of
His Son should be enough for me to believe that I cannot get myself into
Heaven. Do I believe this? Yes!
With every ounce of my being.
Without that sacrifice, I trust I am doomed. I would proclaim that boldly, without any
reservation.
So why am I confident to believe what God has planned for my
eternity, but less so about the plan He has for my time on earth? Well, that’s the $50,000 question, I
suppose. If I can just believe with my
being that He truly has ordered my days, now, and forever, I will be able to
walk boldly…into the unknown. Not “I
should,” or “I may,” but “I will.” I
anticipate this change will come in me.
Not because of anything I have done, mind you.
Picturing one solid path is helping me. There is not time here, then time in
Eternity. No life here. Then eternal life. Time is one continual line. One path.
One life. One me. One God.
And that’s never changing.

This was so good Terese! I think we all feel like this. Maybe it isn't that we don't trust God, but that we don't want Him to "pick a path" if you will that our flesh won't like? Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI think that is what happens to me. Oh yes, I trust God... but do I trust that He has my ultimate good in mind? The ultimate good is for HIS GLORY, not my own... and He sees the whole picture... I don't. Love you!