Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Joy in the Trenches

The other day a friend who I don't believe has ever called me on the phone before dialed me in distress.  She was overwhelmed by a family situation and needed prayer.  It was such a joy to stop with her, right then, and give it to the Lord.  As I was praying and talking with her, I could feel my words fading, and His coming to the forefront.  While it didn't change her circumstances, the truth changed her perspective some. 

"I will build my church;
and the gates of hell
shall not prevail against it."
Matthew 16:18
Folks, we are in a spiritual battle.  And just like anyone who fought in a traditional war, the fighting is intense!  There are people on the front line, with reinfocements behind.  There are those who have surrendered and those who will fight to their death.  But when a brother or sister is in the trenches, they need back up, to help them focus on the goal, and continue fighting the good fight.  Will you be available for that service, if God calls you?

In the darkess of my friend's despair, I saw joy.  I was practically beaming as I shared with her truths about her and the situation, from scripture.  And as I could hear the worry start to fade in her voice, I knew she felt it too.  It's an honor to be in the ranks of our God.  He has armed us.  And he has promised that, in the end, we win the war.

1 comment: